Tuesday, September 16, 2008

How my love for marathons began

It seems just like yesterday, actually 5 years ago, that I came up with the bright idea of running my first marathon. Little did I know the amount of preperation that would be involved in training for a marathon. I decided to run in the Jacksonville Bank Marathon in December 2003. I heard that marathons could be addicting, but I assured Lori (my wife) that this was a "one and done" race. I play in an adult flag football league each fall, which severly hampered my time dedicated to training. I incur quite a few injuries playing quarterback for our flag football team. I tend to rely more on my legs than my arm. I did not do as much research as I should have before I started training. I had no idea how important my diet and the amount of rest I got would be during training. I also did not buy a good pair of shoes that comformed to the my feet. I began to experience a tremendous amount of pain on the bottom of my feet during training runs. I had decided to run a half marathon in Boston Georgia on Halloween weekend to prepare for the actual marathon in December. After visiting the doctor, I was diagnosed with a case of plantar fasciatus. The pain got so intense, that I had to to make a decision to run the half marathon and rest til my foot was better or keep training for the marathon and my body break down before I actually got to the race. I decided to run the half marathon and had a great time. I wasn't sure if I would try again for a marathon, but I got the itch again in the spring. I decided to try again for the Jacksonville Marathon. This time I ate better, got more rest, and bought a good pair of shoes that were right for my type of feet. I put in the proper training and went in with the goal of finishing in 4 hours. I heard that 4 hours was a good time for running a marathon. I new I had to beat the time Oprah ran her marathon in. No way I was going to get beat by Oprah. Lori likes watching Oprah, so I heard all about the marathon she ran. The race went well in Jacksonville. I didn't stop at all during the race and finished in 4 hours and 16 minutes. I didn't meet my goal of 4 hours, but I did beat Oprah's time. I never did hit the wall during the race either. When I initially finished, I said I was never doing one of these again. After about a week, I felt really down. I wasn't training and I didn't have a schedule telling what I was supposed to run each day. I felt like I didn't have a purpose when it came to running. It was such a rush crossing the finish line that I wanted to experience that again and again. That is where the addiction was born. I am in such good shape when I am training and I feel so good. It really helps me clear my mind. I will give some more insight as to what I experience as I train and run the races.

1 comment:

Wendi said...

Hey Rick. I haven't seen you in 20years and I'm not a runner. But I found your blog through the comment you left on your parents' blog and thought I'd see what you're up to. This is all very impressive to me...especially about you beating Oprah's time. :)